The last installment of the Blender Lane Market series was superb. The organizers Nicole, Matt and George, did such an amazing job making sure stallholders were taken care of. This time, we had Zoe with us, and she brought along her beautiful handmade purses. They had her signature style all over it. Sam had sketchbooks, money boxes and pins on the table, which inevitably capture the imagination. I had art prints, portraits and jewelry.
I was nervous the day before, because it the weather forecast said it was likely to rain. Blender is an outdoors market. But everyone rallied with marquees and tarps, and more importantly, smiles on their faces. Stallholders, I salute all of us! We were out in the wind and cold, rugged up in layers, and downing all manners of hot liquids – coffee, soup, even fruity mulled wine.
Sometimes, markets can be slow in terms of traffic, which mean lower sales. But there are non-monetary benefits that come with showing up:
- Meeting friendly, talented people that are out showcasing their passion. Seeing the creative output of others is both inspiring and encouraging!
- Practicing being wholly responsible for the outcome of your day (a practice microcosm for your life)
- Exposure for your business. Even if people don’t buy your product, they will take business cards. It is easier to remember a warm face-to-face encounter if they require your services down the line
- You can do a service/product swap with stallholders
- Becoming friends with people who drop by the market
So if you’re ever thinking of giving it a go, it’s pretty low-risk, there is usually no long-term commitment, and a bowlful of fun with the right people.